Tennessee Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer
David Randolph Smith
David Randolph Smith Edmund J. Schmidt III
Phone:(615) 742-1775
Toll-Free:(800) 394-2119
Fax: (615) 742-1223
info@drslawfirm.com
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Click here for a free & confidential case review

In 1990 David Randolph Smith settled the largest wrongful death case in Tennesse history ($2.8 million) in a case involving a fatal carbon monoxide poisoning at the Ramada Inn Opryland Hotel in Nashville. ABC News 20/20 featured the case and the settlement. The firm has subsequently prosecuted carbon monoxide cases throughout the United States, including a major CO exposure at the Radison Hotel in Evansville, Indiana. The firm recently served as lead counsel in the NHC Nursing Home Fire litigation where which sixteen patients died in a nursing home fire from carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation.

If you have questions about carbon monoxide poisoning and a possible case, please contact our offices toll-free (1.880.394.2119) for a free and confidential evaluation of your case today.

David Randolph Smith began his career as an attorney in 1978 in Houston, Texas defending product liability cases. He later taught torts and products liability at Vanderbilt University School of Law (1983-1988).

Mr. Smith is Certified as a Civil Litigation Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization. Mr. Smith is also certified as a Medical Malpractice Specialist by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

Certification requires proof that the attorney is in good standing, is substantially involved in litigating and trying cases (including minimum trial day requirements), has met continuing legal education requirements and has been subjected to peer review by persons against whom they have tried cases as well as judges before whom they have appeared.

Fewer than 1% of Tennessee's attorneys are certified as Civil Trial Specialists and only 10 attorneys are certified as Medical Malpractice Specialists.

What You Should Know

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by burning fuel, such as gasoline, wood, paper, natural gas, or kerosene. Cars, trucks, boats, recreational vehicles, fireplaces, wood stoves and pool heaters all pose a potential risk of carbon monoxide poisioning. Cooking or heating appliances when kept in good working condition produce little carbon monoxide (CO). However, improperly operating appliances, along with faulty camping equipment and outdoor gas stoves and malfunctioning kerosene space heaters, can produce fatal CO concentrations.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

When inhaled, carbon monoxide CO quickly enters the blood stream and prevents oxygen from being transported to the body's cells. CO initially causes headaches, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. Continued exposure can lead to irregularity of the heart, coma and death in minutes.

Running a car or generator in an attached garage can cause fatal CO poisoning in the home. If the cab is defectively designed, sleeping in the cab of a truck while the engine is running can pose a danger. So can using a gas-powered generator or burning wood or charcoal in the basement, crawlspace or even next to a living area if a window or door is open, as lethal fumes could seep into your home.

The best protection against carbon monoxide poisoning in the home is to have a CO detector installed near your bedrooms. Be sure also to have your furnace serviced regularly.


Where Can I Find Additional Information?


Copyright 2005 Law Offices of David Randolph Smith & Edmund J. Schmidt III.
All rights reserved.
Powered by Mac OS X Server
Last updated: 12/3/11
Disclaimer