Atlanta Truck Accident Attorneys
Trucking accidents occur in an instant, but the aftermath of a serious accident is often prolonged, overwhelming, and frustrating. It’s difficult to untangle the split-second events leading up to the crash, and dealing with insurance companies, witnesses, and healthcare providers is exhausting. If you or a loved one has been injured in a recent trucking accident, you may need an Atlanta trucking accident attorney to help you navigate this difficult time. This article will help you know the statistics, understand the risk factors, and take the key steps necessary to ensure that you and your family receive the compensation you deserve.
Atlanta Trucking Accident Statistics
- The majority of all motorcycle crashes occur in north Georgia. And, generally, there are higher motorcycle crash rates in metro Altanta and in rural counties near the Georgia-Tennessee border.
- While motorcycles represent just 1 percent of all motor vehicle crashes in eorgia, motorcycle operators represent 21 percent of all driver fatalties.
- The number of motocyclist fatalies in Georgia traffic crashes increased by 22 percent, from 139 motorcyclist fatalities in 2017 to 170 in 2019.
- In 2019, the Atlanta Region accounted for 42 percent of all motorcylce crashes and 33 percent of all motorcycle registrations.
- 63 percent of all motorcycle crashes involved more than on vehicle — 37 percent were single-vehicle motorcycle crashes.
- The most common manner of collision involving motorcycles in multi-vehicle crashes were rear-end collisions, at 32 percent.
Why Are Tractor-Trailers So Deadly?
Trucking accidents are a major cause of death and injury on roads in Atlanta and surrounding areas. In 2021 there were 245 fatal traffic crashes involving large trucks in Georgia.
There are a number of factors that contribute to the high death toll in truck accidents, including:
- The size and weight of trucks. 18-wheelers are much larger and heavier than passenger cars, which means that they can cause more damage in a collision.
- The speed of trucks. Commercial vehicles are primarily deployed on interstates with high speed limits. This high rate of travel can make it difficult for truck drivers to stop in time to avoid an accident.
- The lack of visibility around trucks. Semi-trucks have large blind spots, which means that drivers may not be able to see other vehicles, especially smaller ones, that are alongside or behind them.
- Driver fatigue. Commercial truck drivers are often required to work long hours, which can lead to fatigue and decreased alertness.
- Truck malfunctions. The U.S. economy relies heavily on the trucking industry to transport goods and materials. Given the heavy usage of commercial trucks and heavy weight of the loads they carry, mechanical failures are a leading cause of trucking accidents.
There are a number of safety measures that could be implemented to help reduce the number of truck accidents and fatalities:
- Side guards and rear guards. Side guards and rear guards are devices that can be installed on trucks to help protect pedestrians and cyclists in sideswipe and rear-end accidents.
- Speed limiters. Speed limiters can be installed on trucks to prevent them from exceeding a certain speed.
- Driver fatigue management programs. Trucking companies should implement driver fatigue management programs to help ensure that drivers are not working too many hours and are getting enough sleep.
- Regular truck inspections. Trucks should be inspected regularly to ensure that they are in safe operating condition.
By implementing these safety measures, we can help to make our roads safer and reduce the number of truck accidents and fatalities.
How to pick an Atlanta Trucking Accident Lawyer?
The best trucking accident lawyers are great at three things: Investigation, Interrogation, and Advocacy.
So, you’ll want a trucking lawyer who is great at those things. But, how do you figure that out?
Well, the easiest way is to ask your potential attorney about those three skills.
1. Investigation. You’ll want to ask your prosepctive attorney: what is your investigation plan for my case? Does the lawyer plan to photograph the accident scene? Does he plan to hire an accident reconstruction expert? Will he interview witnesses? How is he going to investigate the truck driver or the trucking company? Your attorney should be able to identify the key areas of investigation and explain how each one could help drive the value of your case.
2. Interrogation. To find out if your attorney is a skilled with interrogation, I recommend asking about any prior trucking cases they’ve handled. You’ll want to hear more about cases where a lawsuit was filed and the attorney had to depose or question the at-fault truck driver or trucking company to develop their client’s case. What sorts of questions did they ask? How did they use the witness testimony at trial or to resolve the case? You want to make sure you’re hiring an attorney who has experience with trucking cases, not just garden-variety auto accidents, and someone who has a command of the all the issues in a trucking case.
3. Advocacy. Lastly, you’ll want to ask yourself this question: is this the best advocate for me? The way to think about this is: have you discussed the details of case with an actual attorney? Does he truly understand your injuries and how the accident has affected you? Has he explained why and how he can get you a great result? If the attorney is not personal with you about your case, he is just not going to be in the best position to advocate on your behalf. To get great results in the personal injury space, your attorney must be invested in you because ultimately that’s what it’s about – it’s about you.
Recap: If you’re impressed with the attorney’s investigation plan, if you’re impressed with what you’ve learned about their experience with trucking cases, and you feel like they are truly committed to being in your corner, then, yes, hire them. That’s about all you can look for when choosing a trucking accident lawyer.
Contact an Atlanta Trucking Accident Attorney
If you or your loved one were injured in a trucking accident that wasn’t your fault, one of your highest priorities is obtaining just compensation for the pain you’ve endured. It’s vital to seek competent, experienced trucking injury lawyers as soon as possible before accepting any type of settlement from other drivers or other parties who may be responsible. Contact the Atlanta trucking accident attorneys at DRS Law for a free consultation, and let our skilled trucking lawyers advise you on the next steps to take with your claim.
Over $500 Million
Recovered Since 1993
We've Helped Thousands of People Just Like You
We are known for getting life-changing results and fighting to make our communities safer.
Why Choose Us As Your Atlanta Trucking Accident Attorney
With us on your side, you can focus on what’s most important – your recovery.
Decades Of Experience
Our firm handles serious Atlanta personal injury cases involving trucking accidents, medical malpractice, and wrongful death.
David Anthony Smith has handled cases all over Georgia, including Fulton County, DeKalb County, Cobb County, Gwinnett County, Henry County, and Clayton County. He has also tried cases and appeared in state and federal courts throughout Georgia.
Small Case Volume
Unlike many Atlanta personal injruy firms that handle a large volume of cases, we focus on a select few cases. With this, our attorneys ensure that every step is taken to obtain the most favorable outcomes for our clients.
We Prepare For Trial
Every case is meticulously prepared for trial by our trial team and support staff in order to maximize the recovery for our client, whether by settlement or trial verdict. Our proven track record of success has resulted in multi-million-dollar settlements and judgments.
What to Expect
Our Legal Services Are Completely Personalized To You And Your Unique Needs
01 Free Consultation
Our dedicated personal injury and accident lawyers provide free, no-pressure case evaluations. We will help you determine if you have a case and will answer all your questions in plain English. We never charge any fees until we win your case.
02 Personalized Service
If we take your case, it’s because we believe we can help you. We will get to work outlining a strategic plan of action. We want you to feel taken care of during this difficult time — whatever questions you have, we’re here with answers. Frequent check-ins ensure you are comfortable with the progress of your case.
03 You Get Paid
We are passionate about the success of your case and will give it the close attention and focus it deserves. We find solutions that other lawyers miss, discovering key facts that help you win. We call upon our gifts in storytelling to argue your case with passion and conviction so you get the compensation and justice you deserve.
What Our Clients Say
“The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible.”
I am very thankful to David, Lyon, Chris and all professionals who represent this firm. This team made an incredibly difficult situation end successfully. The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible. Our concerns were quickly and appropriately responded to, with knowledge and compassion. Law suits are very scary situations, but they never stopped communicating until I felt comfortable with the process. - K. Boland
“They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience.”
The DRS team was simply tremendous. They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience. I felt cared for the entire time. I will recommend them enthusiastically to anyone who ever needs legal help. - Dick K.
“Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone!”
Chris and the rest of the guys at the firm did an amazing job handling my case and making me feel like I was heard and important. Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone! - T. Sapp.
“They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family.”
This is a wonderful law firm. They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family. I would highly recommend! - David S.
“There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are.”
There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are for Lyon and the others at this law firm. The events that led us to reach out to your firm were one the worst times in our lives. My husband’s illness and long recovery were something that we were not sure we would ever come back from. Thanks to the hard work, knowledge and dedication that you guys have put forth on our behalf we have been awarded a settlement that will ensure we have a secure financial future. You guys are the best! - Lorrie H.
“The only attorney that would take our case.”
David Randolph Smith was the only attorney that would take our case. We were up against the US Government and Virginia’s state laws. Mr. Smith’s experience and expertise was the only reason we were able to get a settlement. He always answered our calls and kept us informed. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were very professional and nice. God sent this law firm to help us at a very sorrowful time. We were blessed for such a great law firm. If I ever need a lawyer, this firm would be first on my list. Thank you. — Vicky F.
“The end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed.”
Thru what was an absolute nightmare of an ordeal, I was finally blessed with the very best legal team a man could ever want or desire. I can’t even begin to express my overwhelming gratitude and sincere appreciation to my entire legal team. You are all of the very best at what you do, and the end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed. And it also gave me back my health and independence! On a scale to 1 and 10, I would give you give you a 12! God bless all of you from the bottom of my heart! - Darrell H.
“It made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands.”
My wife and I couldn’t have had a better experience. The whole team was incredibly responsive, attentive, respectful, & friendly. Lyon took our case and you couldn’t ask for a better guy to have on your side. Not only was he super sharp and resourceful, but also the type of person that makes you feel like an old friend. Since we were seeking legal help for a very awful situation it made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands the whole time. - Mark D.
“They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them.”
It was a wonderful experience. Everyone we dealt with was attentive and responsive. They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them. We are very happy we decided to use Smith and Associates. We highly recommend them. - Whitney G.